Friday 6 April 2018

A letter to my future self



So, here you are – twenty years from 2018. How is life these days?
I hope you are still well and active, because if not, it’s probably my fault. I should be doing more now, they say, if I want to have a healthy old age.  I always MEAN to exercise more but… well, you know how it is. Oh, and I’m sorry for all that chocolate I ate over and above what was reasonable. But at least I didn’t drink much.

Many of the people you have known and loved will not be around now. The world must be a sadder place without them. You are probably – barring miracles – an elderly orphan. Unless, that is, you are no longer around either. But I’m hoping you will still be here, enjoying the freedom to do the things that the elderly are allowed to get away with. Let’s also hope they haven’t locked you up yet.

You will still be proud of your wonderful family, I’m sure. I hope they’re looking after you well!

By now dear little Archie will be long gone. Do you remember the fun and laughter he brought into your life? You have probably forgotten the times he pooped on the carpet or chewed the furniture when he was a puppy. Just think of all the fresh air and exercise you would have missed if it wasn’t for him. You’d have been on that sofa for hours every day…

And old Sam, the Cat Legend. What a character he was! A proper killing machine in his young days. He took on anything that moved, didn’t he. Squirrels, ducks, sea gulls, birds of any size really. Not to mention mice and rats of course. Remember the time he fought a fox and won? And did you ever forgive him for being sick under your bed?


I don’t suppose you find it any easier to make decisions. You always could see things from so many angles! People called you indecisive. I like to think you could see the bigger picture. Not always an advantage though.

They say you miss going to work when you are retired. I find it hard to believe, but I guess you know if that’s true by now. Unless they have moved the retirement goalposts so much that everybody works until they are 90. I wouldn’t be surprised.

I hope you are still able to get out and about and take your camera with you. Please say you aren’t sitting alone somewhere fuming about split infinitives and bad spelling or spitting feathers over the younger generation.  Are you keeping up with technology? It’s enough of a struggle already, I can tell you.

I can’t imagine what the world is like for you. Change happens so fast.
Do tell me you get hooked up to virtual reality when you go into a care home in 2038. So much more fun than sitting in front of daytime TV.

Perhaps from the misty distance of time you will look back and remember how things were. Maybe you will have learnt not to be too hard on yourself. Not only to think kindly of other people but also to be kind to yourself.


1 comment: