Wednesday 14 December 2016

We were ahead of our time in the 'Planners' game....

If you have kids you need to plan…

I know I have had more kids than is strictly normal, but my most manic time was when I had just the first two as I had to look after more than one person at a time and it confused me. It soon became clear that if I was to get through the day/week/month/the rest of my life sane, then I would have to adopt some mechanism of organisation.

Now, people that know me well can testify that ‘being organised’ isn’t my strong suit [glad my husband isn’t likely to read this…] but needs must I always say. And needs there certainly were.
Before I reveal the lengths I was driven to in order to keep one nostril above the water, I will add a disclaimer;

Systems have to be followed to have a chance of working and a] I didn’t always follow them and, b] depending on my state of health and level of the kids’ cooperativeness, they didn’t always work when I tried to follow them…

But hey, we all get sick days and kids on wild sprees and days when everything goes WRONG, but hand on heart, I can truly say that having some sort of framework is like a comforting scaffolding to hang your life on, and to come back to as if to a raft on a choppy sea.

Because that's what systems are. They are scaffolding, designed to hold your life together while you are working on it. Systems can be a scary concept, but think of it like this: my way of writing down what I need to get done in a week, and allocating time to it, and making sure I don’t forget anything the most important stuff is my system. That’s all.

So, the more kids that came along the more I had to plan and write down and it made me look organised when I wasn’t really, I was just surviving.

My first attempts at planning were ripping pages out of note books and making a list of everything I had to do THAT DAY, which was fine in as far as it went, but days would suddenly pop up out of nowhere and I would find it was someone’s birthday that I had forgotten. And I had forgotten because I was concentrating on one day at a time and not looking ahead. At all. There are times when we must do this [just given birth, bereavement etc] but in the main, a little bit of looking ahead saves time and upsetting your mother-in-law.

I am now going to reveal to you something I devised together with Moo when we were both eyebrow deep in kids. I truly believe we were the pioneers of all the swanky business/life planners that all these cool entrepreneurs are trying to sell us. I called mine ‘Memory’ and here it is:


Yes, it’s a scruffy old notebook, but it contained gold dust. So, here’s how it worked:

1.       Open out a spiral-bound notebook so it lays flat, and you have a double page spread looking up at you
2.       Get a ruler and pencil and draw columns. On the first page draw a narrow, medium and wide column
3.       On the second [facing] page draw a narrow, wide, and then medium column. Ish.
4.       So across the two pages we have six columns of varying widths
5.       Then divide the first five columns into seven rows by drawing six equally space lines horizontally, leaving the last column to run undivided down the page.
6.       First column call DATE, Second column DATES TO REMEMBER, third column JOBS & PLANS, fourth column MENU, fifth column LOCAL SHOPPING and last column SUPERMARKET

Thus:

  

The planner worked in this way; each week you filled in the day and date in the first column. In the second column Dates to Remember, you would fill in any birthday, anniversaries, wedding or hospital/GP/optician/school appointments. In the third column you planned your jobs for the week, like washing, making a birthday cake or hoovering the upstairs etc. As you could see which days were heavy with appointments you could devise a work schedule that left busy days free. In the fourth column you would plan a menu for the whole week, making sure you kept simple or reheated meals for complicated days, in the next column you would fill in the local shop. In the days of yore when we all could get to a local Post Office this was great as you could make sure you bought the birthday cards and stamps a few days before the birthday came up in the Dates to Remember column. Or you could buy your fresh meat from the local butcher at the beginning of the week as you looked at your menu. The last column was Supermarket [or weekly] shop, which is not divided up horizontally. The idea of this is, if you leave the planner open on the side, as soon as you run low of something you write it down straight away in this column and it is automatically part of your next weekly shop. The rest is added by looking down at your menu for the week.


OK, so we don’t all have local shops anymore [this was from 1984 after all], and it may well be too labour intensive for busy working Mums to draw up every week.

 But you must admit, we were ahead of the planning game….

Saggy

No comments:

Post a Comment