Tuesday 19 September 2017

LETS GET ON WITH IT...




Well, summer is over and autumn is just about upon us again.

This is the grown-up version of ‘What I Did in the Holidays’, an essay I always dreaded at school because we used to do such weird things in our family, e.g. as mentioned in a previous blog, Grave-spotting and Uncle Hunting. We never went away on holiday, except rarely and only to visit family. There were a few day trips to the coast, but these were very rare indeed, as our parents weren’t too keen on the chaos at the beach. Or the journey with squabbling kids in the back, though I seem to remember they were as bad as us for bickering, maybe worse. We could hardly get a mile down the road before we were all ready to give up the trip and go home.

It may seem strange but we enjoyed our summer holidays immensely despite the lack of trips abroad or days out. People didn’t tend to do so much of that sort of thing back then. We were left much more to our own devices, and this suited us fine.
It wasn’t easy, when tackling the inevitable What I Did  essay on returning to school, to make our holidays sound interesting, or entirely believable. At least, not to normal people like teachers and other kids. 

But at least when you are a child, you get some time off. Once you are an adult and have your own family, ‘holidays’ are never the same again. They are just everyday life on steroids. When the kids have all (just about) left home you’d think things would be a lot quieter. And so they are I guess, but YOU are also a lot older. So it still feels like chaos. 
I guess this is why pensioners spend their time cruising round the world and the rest of us spend our time dreaming of enough pension to do the same one day.

So, what did I do all summer?

Well, I’ve had some lovely moments... Visits from grandchildren, evenings eating ice creams on the beach and watching the sun go down, spending some time with my parents, starting an online photography course… The best thing all summer was the birth of another granddaughter. 

Oh, and we sold the house and are about to buy another. Anyone who has been through house sale and purchase will understand what’s involved in THAT.

While Saggy has been gadding about Norway and sorting out her Herbal School stuff back home, I’ve been working hard at my photography these last few months. To be honest, you can’t call it work. I really love it and I’m out most days with my camera and the dog. It’s not so easy getting my head round the technical stuff though. 
How I will miss those beautiful swans at the bottom of my garden when we move!

So it’s been very busy this summer.

I seem to have spent all my adult life waiting for a time when Things Get Back to Normal, but have to wonder if such a state of what I imagine to be Normal really exists! And just think – countdown to Christmas will begin before we know it…

So, as I embark on the chaos that is Moving House, I’m taking a deep breath and bracing myself for an even busier autumn. A few weeks ago I heard somebody say of me that I am someone who, when faced with problems ‘just gets on with it’. This chirked me up no end. I have always thought I was someone who makes heavy weather of things. Now I have a reputation to live up to.

It’s been a good summer, taking one thing with another. I’ve laid down some great memories. Now I’m ready to ‘get on with it’ this autumn.


No comments:

Post a Comment