Friday 3 November 2017

Who would have thought it...







This is my dog Archie trying to escape having his harness put on prior to going for a walk. We go through this fiasco every time we take him out. I mean, he wants to go out but makes us catch him first. I have no idea why.

Whatever made us get a dog? I’d never really thought of myself as a ‘dog person’ if you know what I mean. Not too fond of dog-slobber on my clothes, dog poo in the garden and hair all over the carpets. I was fond of the dog we’d had when the children were young. William was such a good natured, obedient, friendly character with a weakness for rooting in rubbish bins and getting on the sofa when he thought nobody would catch him. He spent his last few months living with my son Tom, who needed a dog and loved him to bits. I was sad when he died, especially when I came home from work and found Tom burying him in my garden. I felt privileged to have him lying beneath my lawn, but I wasn’t quite as heartbroken as I suspect I would be were our little Archie to pass on.

So, why did I sign up for all that slobber, poo and hair again? Not sure I can explain really. But,
a)     he doesn’t slobber
b)     he rarely poos in the garden
c)     he doesn’t shed his hair
So, with my main objections to dogs taken care of, there are almost no reasons NOT to have one. Call it mid-life madness. Or empty nest syndrome.... Whatever.
Besides, I needed something to make me get more exercise – no excuses!

Every morning I see a gentleman of military aspect marching his dog down to the beach. A well behaved, obedient dog with an impressive physique and not a spare ounce of flesh on him. I can only imagine the training that guy put his dog through and the regimented life he must lead. He seems happy enough though, so maybe it suits him. Dogs are supposed to be like their owners (or is it the other way round?) That’s probably why I have a small, scruffy, stubborn little dog. But SO adorable!

The strong bonds between humans and their dogs and/or cats can’t be denied. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea perhaps, but those of us who do cherish a furry friend get a lot of happiness from them. And when they pass away, as they do far too soon, we mourn as for a lost family member. It’s common to have to have time off work when we lose a pet. Which reminds me of a staff memo which was sent round to my colleagues a few years ago. It included the line 

‘...and thanks go to Carol whose cat died and carried on working anyway’. 

After falling off my chair laughing I sobered up and felt mean because I could imagine what poor Carol was suffering.


Since the day Archie arrived, a cute bundle of puppy sweetness, he has brought something special into our lives. His face is so comical it makes you want to laugh just to look at him. 

There are times when I marvel at his intelligence, and others when I shake my head at his idiocy. He has been part of my life for two and a half years now, and I have no regrets at all.

Butter wouldn't melt...

No comments:

Post a Comment