Friday 19 January 2018

A Bit of Both Worlds [Or how to dabble in the good life...]


For many years I have watched YouTube videos on self-sufficiency. It has always intrigued me.

Even before the internet when we first married in 1975, we bought books on having pigs to raise our own meat and on keeping chickens for eggs, we read books about making wine from brambles and cheese from sour milk. We even drew up plans to build our own house – a round one with a central spiral staircase.

But we never took the plunge. When I used to I read about people digging their own wells and milking goats and making straw cob houses, I felt drawn to that sort of life, but I also wanted to live in the real world where my friends were.

So I have lived in the real world and brought my kids up with fitted kitchens and supermarket shops and wall to wall carpets and a tumble drier. But the hankering never really leaves you. So now I have a veggie patch and two allotments. I have tried my hand at sourdough and sauerkraut and kefir. I have kept chickens and have boiled organic bones for broth at the same time as we run an automatic washing machine and two cars. The thing is; I am dabbling….

And I have found I am perfectly content to do so.

At the same time as shopping on Amazon Prime, I am making soap. Yes soap. Organic soap which is ridiculously expensive to buy, but cheap when homemade and it turns out great. It works! We wash our hands with it and it lathers up just like it is supposed to! I made black pepper and ginger soap and I am so proud of myself.


 

I also made my own non-toxic talcum powder from arrowroot and rose petals which I ground up in a coffee grinder that I keep for that sort of thing.




So if you hanker after a sort of self-sufficient life style without the self-sufficiency, then I recommend you start with soap for the sheer feel-good factor. Watch videos on YouTube so you know how it’s done, then open an account with The Soap Kitchen and Aromantics. And you are away….

  


Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment