Saturday 13 January 2018

A dog's life!




Sometimes I think it must be nice to be a dog. I mean the kind of family pet who has no worries about where the next meal is coming from, no responsibilities except greeting visitors and not pooing on the carpet. While we humans do all the worrying and get all the hassle.
What prompted this thought? Well, I’m having trouble thinking  about anything except the looming house move upheaval. Which naturally is not featuring large in my dog’s thoughts. If he has any at all…

So, we move into the last phase of the moving fiasco. It’s been three months since sale was agreed. I cannot for the life of me see why things need to drag on for so long, but this seems to be normal from what I’ve heard. However, the length of time between sale agreed and completion of sale is not as bad as the uncertainty that goes with it.

I have had, you might think, three months so far to get organised and start the packing. But because the whole thing could fall through at any point up to and including the week you actually move, you can’t do much until contracts are exchanged. After that point, everyone is committed. But this point happens very late in the proceedings. So you live on tenterhooks, wondering if the phone will ring and you get told it’s all off. This has happened once already. I wasn’t too worried then, but now I’ve had enough! I just want the upheaval and uncertainty to be over.

My physiotherapist didn’t do much for my attempted serenity when he cheerfully told me how, years ago, he and his family had been all packed up and ready to move house on a Monday, and got a phone call at 6pm on the Friday before to say it had fallen through. Thinking about this has fuelled my imagination quite a bit, especially in the wee small hours.

So, anyway, I got a phone call yesterday from the estate agent to say our buyers are raring to go and when can we get out please? It’s just a question now of our sellers’ seller getting a move on, apparently. Everyone is working towards the end of January for completion. Yay! Good news, eh?
But hang on, that means only two or three weeks! So much to do! So much to organise! So many exclamation marks!
Now the thing is, said buyers have asked to come round today. This threw me into a bit of a panic. What if they change their minds? After all, the house isn’t exactly in show condition like it was the first time they saw it. Oh no, indeed not! For a start, Debbie’s room is piled high with boxes and all the stuff out of the loft (loft is what I call the under eaves storage space). The garden has had little or no attention since they last saw it. The windows have suffered from recent storms…

I really must get a grip! There’s a lot to do. Starting with taking my dear little dog friend Archie out for his walk and try and absorb some of his laid-back attitude. He always helps me get things in perspective.


Here we go then for the final push, before I run out of exclamation marks altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment