Friday 4 May 2018

Waste not...



I am on a mission to cut down on food waste. See all these lovely veggies? I am going to try and make sure that none of them end up in the compost bin. That is what usually happens to approx half of the veg I buy. Partly because the supermarket sells some things in quantities enough to feed a family when I only need enough for myself and one vegephobe, and partly because I lack the imagination to be able to make vegetables interesting before they start to rot. I need the culinary skills to make green vegetables attractive to a Glaswegian. This is a big ask, so if anybody could help me with that one, I’d be grateful!

What I really need, I guess, is a good greengrocer a short walk away so I can buy a little at a time. You see, I do tend to buy enough for a week with the hope of staying out of the supermarket as much as possible. I just don’t need the temptation to spend that lurks inside. They have only just stopped ambushing us with Easter eggs for goodness sake! But I do buy lots of lovely looking veg (it does look so appealing, doesn’t it), then it sits in the fridge for days while I try and work out what to do with it. Yes, I know I should make a weekly menu and shopping list. I don’t find this as straightforward as I used to for various reasons. Something to do with being overwhelmed with choice I suspect.

If anyone can teach us something about reducing food waste, it must be the wartime generation. Our mum was brought up when severe rationing was in place and used to regale us with horror stories of just how little butter/cheese/meat or anything else was available. Especially sweets. But maybe that’s why she had an 18 inch waist as a teenager. Many people grew their own veg. They had to or they would have been very hungry indeed. So anyway, food was very precious and was never wasted. As a last resort, if something was way past edible it would go in the pig bin.

A little of this attitude was still around during my own childhood, as rationing only finally ended the year I was born. But back then there was hardly the cornucopia of foodstuffs available and/or affordable. As a child, I had never heard of aubergines, mangoes, peppers or any of the many things we are urged to eat in quantities these days. Green veg meant cabbage, and beans came out of a tin. Asparagus was for the wealthy (it still is), and garlic was just plain… foreign!

I have been amazed at the ‘past it’s best’ food the elderly are prepared to eat rather than waste it. Community carers often come across out of date food, especially cheese sprouting whiskers, and are asked to serve it up for a meal. Now, there are rules about this sort of thing. You may not serve somebody food that is out of date, mouldy or whatever. Why would you do it anyway? But try telling that to the elderly. They have always eaten cheese with whiskers and it never did them any harm. Or so they tell you. Besides, there isn’t anything else to eat. So you have a conversation with the Powers That Be that goes something like this:

Carer: Mrs X insists on having out of date food for tea.
PTB: You must throw away all food that is past it’s use by date.
Carer: But Mrs X won’t let me.
PTB: You must throw it away. Do it when she isn’t looking.
Carer: But she knows exactly what’s in the fridge and gets angry.
PTB: Sigh. OK, leave it there – it’s her choice. But you mustn’t give it to her to eat.
Carer: But there isn’t anything else.
PTB: Heavier Sigh. Just use your initiative.
Carer: She can’t eat my initiative. If I go out to buy something I won’t have time to cook it AND she won’t pay for more food when there’s something in the fridge already.
PTB: ……..?

They never throw away food, even if it’s mouldy. Just scrape off the mould, cut out the bad bits and eat it.
I like a bit of mouldy cheese myself, but prefer the sort that is supposed to have mould. I’ve got this cheese still in the fridge, opened a few weeks ago. Now I’m not sure if the mould is the sort that is supposed to be there, or has grown there since. I must be getting old, because I’m going to eat it anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment