Friday 18 May 2018

Getting away



I’ve just come to the last day of a holiday, and I’m glad to say I’m not dreading going back to the normal daily routine. Its been a wonderful time though. A whole week where I haven’t had to do anything I didn’t feel like doing. There was so little washing up that you hardly noticed it. The bed seemed to make itself, and I had so few possessions with me they didn’t need tidying. And I couldn’t have asked for better weather!

I’ve done so many things that I did want to do that my body is a tad achier than normal, but having conserved all my energy for going out and doing interesting stuff its hardly noticeable. And anyway, it’s worth it.

The holiday accommodation is fine, maybe a little dated but that doesn’t matter. Its clean and everything works. The folks who own it live in the adjoining house and are everything you’d want from the owners. However, they do have a habit of popping out from nowhere every time you go out, like the troll from under the bridge trying to catch a Billy Goat Gruff. I don’t know how they do it. Some sort of surveillance system would be my guess. But they are so nice and helpful I don’t mind. 

Their cat also keeps an eye on us.


I’ve visited tranquil Buckfast Abbey and come away with a couple of bottles of their famous tonic wine. (Yes I did pay for them, and yes of course they are only for medicinal purposes). I’ve been to three castles, visited otters and butterflies, been to the zoo,taken a trip on a steam railway and had a walk in the woods. I’ve spent time resting, reading and just doing nothing.

So, why am I looking forward to going home? I’ll tell you…

1.     I miss my little dog. Feeling guilty for leaving him behind, even though its been a break from the responsibility of looking after him.

2.     I also miss our coffee machine. Haven’t had a single cup of coffee all week that tastes exactly how I like it.

3.     The Wi-Fi here is rubbish. You just cling on to it by the skin of your teeth then it cuts you off. Then you’re back on, then you’ve lost it again.

4.     Nobody told me how hilly Devon is. I’m well used to the rolling hills of Somerset, but Devon is in another class altogether! My poor leg muscles don’t know what’s hit them.

Now that lot sounds like complaints, but I’m not complaining really. I’ve had a wonderful refreshing time. I just love my normal life and miss a few home comforts.

So its back to normal tomorrow. I'll be taking with me not just the tonic wine and a sizeable bottle of scrumpy from the welcome basket. There's a new enthusiasm for getting out there and experiencing things outside the home. As Saggy put it so well last week - living, not existing.



No comments:

Post a Comment