Saturday 4 August 2018

I get some inspiration...



One of the brilliant things about life now is only having to work three days a week. That gives me a bit of space to do things that are not on my To Do list. This week’s ‘spare’ day saw me visiting one of my favourite places in Somerset – Wells, the smallest city in England. So small a city in fact, that it was used to represent a village in the filming of Hot Fuzz.
 Anyway, I love it for its atmosphere, its quirky shops, its beautiful cathedral and many interesting charity shops. It has more charity shops than Burnham on Sea, and that’s saying something.
The whole cathedral area is lovely and brings back fond memories of taking our Kate there for the big country dancing event they used to have for primary school children. And the time that our Becky sang solo from the pulpit in the packed inter schools Christmas carol service while I practically burst with pride in the congregation. Happy days!

So, after a coffee at Nero’s and a (too brief) whizz round a couple of shops - this wasn’t a girls’ day out by the way – we visited the Cathedral. Naturally I had my camera with me so had a pleasant hour or so looking for interesting angles and unusual takes on things. 

And then… came across this art exhibition. I nearly missed it, stuck down the end of a cloister, or whatever its called. I had to pass it to get to a loo, and I’m so glad it was there. You see, I don’t get to many art exhibitions. I wouldn’t have got to this one if I hadn’t stumbled upon it. Anyway, it was all beautiful watercolour paintings by the talented local (almost local) artist Yvonne Harry. They were the kind of pictures that make me want to
a)     Buy one and hang the expense, or
b)     Rush home, get my paints out, do one myself and hang that instead.

But sadly a) wasn’t an option and b) would be doomed to failure for obvious reasons. Here’s one of her paintings I found on Pinterest so you can see what I mean…


Now, this may not be everyone’s cup of tea but its my kind of painting. And you know what? I feel so inspired I might get my paints out anyway, just to get the urge to paint out of my system. Somehow though, I think I’ll be sticking to photography.
Now to see if I can find anyone who’s up for a girls’ day out in Wells. So many quirky shops, so little time…

1 comment:

  1. I remember country dancing in front of the cathedral, ah memories!

    ReplyDelete