Friday 10 August 2018

The Little Things That Make for Joy….



About this mug

My husband expressed some surprise that I bought this mug for no other reason except that I liked it. I didn’t need it. We are not experiencing a famine of drinking utensils that would make me rush out and buy a mug quick, so I could drink some tea. We have cupboards with enough mugs in to deliver hot drinks to a family of 16 with some to spare, and as there is usually just the two of us in the house we could say we are oversubscribed in the mug department.

But you know, this mug just winked at me. It said; ‘Here I am, buy me’. It is wonky and cute and I loved the design. I just had to have it.

I have used it for every breakfast tea, coffee, green tea and herb tea since I bought it. Since yesterday. That makes it worth it, yeah? I arrange it on the farmhouse kitchen table where it looks at home [see above], or on my duck egg blue writing desk in the dining room where it looks bohemian;



 or on my office desk in my clinic where it looks efficient; 




It looks just right everywhere…    It is a little thing that makes for joy and it cost me £4.00.

My husband raised his eyebrows, as he knows you can buy serviceable [but in my opinion ugly] mugs at Asda for £1.50.

My mug is a Morrison’s mug. Now Morrison’s aren’t up there with your usual go-to venues of good taste and style, I’ll admit. But grab it when you see it is my motto. I didn’t go into Morrison’s with the specific intention of buying a mug; not this mug, nor indeed any mug. I went in to buy sugar so the students sitting their Pharmacy practical the next day could make cough syrup. And there it was. Hanging, waiting to be plucked. So, I plucked it off its metal branch and carried it home in triumph.

I think we all have little things that give us joy, far out of all proportion to their cost.

I could add the third-of-a-pint milk bottles which I bought from The Range to this list. Now there my husband can’t complain, because although I have milk jugs and didn’t need more milk pouring utensils, these little beauties only cost £1.00. I see them being used in artisan coffee shops and I like them with their cute little vintage design. I didn’t go into The Range to buy vintage third-of-a-pint milk bottles. I can’t even remember what I did go in for now, probably stationary. But The Range is similar to Lidl and Aldi in the respect that you come out with stuff that you didn’t know you wanted needed. I do this all the time.

Maybe that is why my husband raised his eyebrows….



3 comments:

  1. Perhaps you could use his philosophy on him and raise your eyebrows when he buys more coffee making implements 😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Although to be fair he wasn't complaining, just didn't understand the feeling...

      Delete