Saturday 8 September 2018

Bingo!


I have to ask...

How do people cope with broody hens?

We only have three chickens and one of them is broody 50% of the time. Last time she sat on her eggs and refused to budge I got impatient and pushed her off. She pecked me. Fair enough, if anyone tried to snatch my babies I would retaliate with violence too.

But still. I want those eggs and they are never going to hatch, however long she sits on them. I admit she doesn't know this, so this time I wanted to spare her feelings and not shove her off. But it was days and days.

The other two hens have forgotten how to lay eggs so it was all down to Delilah in the coop. I started to lift the flap and peek in to see if she had moved, but there she was squeaking at me in annoyance and ruffling her feathers. In the end I forgot to creep past the run in the hope of catching her sneaking a quick snack of corn while I wasn't looking. I just carried on with life, throwing the food in and topping up the water, not thinking of any return.

Then on Tuesday Moo came round to take some photos for a magazine article I have got coming out. She was supposed to be on the patio snapping the artful arrangements of Rosemary that were placed there for her on the rustic table. But just as I walked past the run on my way to snip more fresh Rosemary, I caught sight of THREE HENS in the run. Quick as a flash I lifted the flap and there were seven eggs, still warm, lying in the hay.

I snatched them up with a whoop of joy and a cry of Bingo! Then I noticed that Moo was clicking away at me and not the Rosemary. She wants these photos to be seen as she feels they reveal the sinister, greedy side of my nature.

I say it was a war of minds between me and Delilah, and I won.

Besides, that's what hens are for...



No comments:

Post a Comment