Friday 14 September 2018

I just can't help myself...


If you know me, you might have noticed I caught the photography bug a couple of years ago. And now I just can’t help taking photos. Wherever I go, whoever I’m with. It’s like an addiction, but without being bad for my health. Lets call it a passion - sounds better.

How did this suddenly spring itself on me in late middle age, you might ask.

I blame the dog. It all began when he arrived, and I started taking him for early morning walks come rain or shine. I had to be out in the fresh air every day whether I liked it or not. And I did like it.

So, one cold morning there was this amazing atmosphere by the lake in the park. And I just had to take a photo on my phone. After that first one I had the bug, and it grew inside me by degrees. I started to notice the texture of silver birch bark, the dew sparkling on grasses by the lake in the early morning light. All that sort of thing. Soon I wanted editing software, then a ‘proper’ camera, more editing software, bigger and/or better lenses… where will it all end?

The photo that started an addiction.


This morning I took the dog out for his walk and got firm with myself. I’ll leave the camera at home, I said. I’ll concentrate on being with Archie and making sure he gets a good run around. He’s been trained to stand still while I take photos, which he does with an ‘Oh for goodness sake!’ look on his gruff little face. He knows he’ll get a treat when I’ve finished but he’d rather not have to stand around so much.


Archie – surely the most photographed dog in Somerset.











Well of course I couldn’t walk past those poppies standing bright and defiant against a glowering sky, now could I?  And I did have my phone with me of course. I struggled with the urge to get some photos, but to be honest I didn't struggle very hard. Turns out they made some great pictures. And Archie got his treats as usual.


I not only take pics whenever I see something that moves me, I hoard them too. There are literally thousands of photos squirrelled away on laptops, iPad, phone, iCloud, lightroom catalogues, hard drives etc. There are even a few printed out.

Well, its not harming anyone, is it? It makes me notice things and focus on the amazing, fascinating world of everyday things. I can be creative with the images which satisfies some sort of basic human need. And it certainly keeps me off the sofa.

I’ve got a rosy idea of retirement where my husband is in the garage playing with his train set   working on his model railway layout, and I’m taking amazing pictures of it. Or the dog. Or the cat, the garden… anything that strikes me really. Or – even better – I’m out and about practically every day, camera at the ready, visiting stately houses and gardens, interesting buildings, nature in general. Then long cosy evenings by the imaginary fire, editing. Bliss!



No comments:

Post a Comment