Friday 12 October 2018

This is no ordinary toilet....



I know what some of you are thinking; that this is indeed no ordinary toilet. It is a sub-standard toilet that you wouldn’t give house room to. 

And in many ways you would be right.

However, this toilet has an advantage which has brought it close to my heart.

It is in a field, in the middle of nowhere, in the Quantocks.

And it is the difference between me Going Camping and me Not Going Camping. It is a hidden gem in a Hideaway Site where Not Many People Camp because you have to be a member of the camping club and pay them money on a regular basis.

To be fair, most people camp now with caravans, and expect electrical hook-ups and a shower block and even a shop! These types of sites are fine for some people who also need to bring their laptops and TVs and microwaves and who just swap sitting at home on a sofa watching soaps, to sitting in a field on a sofa watching soaps.
 [Ouch, that sounds a bit harsh…]

But this isn’t my kind of camping at all. I like the grass under my feet and the wind in my hair, the fiddling with the Bunsen-burner type of cooker to magically produce pancakes which are eaten as the sun comes up and you hear and smell the cows in the next field. Where you fall asleep at night and can still hear the horses in the next field chewing grass. All this I love.

However, I may have waxed lyrical about the joys of camping, the meals cooked in the fresh air, the views, the flapping of canvas and the noise of opening zips, but – and it is a very big but – I will 100% refuse to go anywhere without some form of toilet facilities. I am not crouching behind a bush or digging holes or using dock leaves instead of toilet paper. I’m just not. This makes camping in the ‘away from it all’ places a bit complicated.

And so to find this field, which is flat, with a view, which is isolated, and has a fire pit with seating, and has its own toilet, with sink, hand soap, towel, toilet paper, toilet cleaner and brush and air freshener was, well, it was amazeballs.


I could tell you where this toilet is, but then it wouldn’t be a hidden gem…

1 comment:

  1. Your article is very helpful for me. I will follow your instruction. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete