Thursday 2 February 2017

WHY I WON'T BE A GRUMPY OLD WOMAN





You might think that being grumpy goes with the territory when you get past 60. But you'd be wrong…
We’ve all met a stereotypical grumpy old woman or man, and yes, of course they do exist. But it doesn't have to be that way. And I've decided that ISN’T  going to be me.

You might be surprised to know research shows that over 60s in the U.K. are the happiest age group. It says so in Psychology Today so it must be true.
Psychologists have only recently realised that personality matures as we get older. Qualities and traits evolve... it seems we become more emotionally stable, which will come as good news to my family. I won’t be the same person at 90 that I was at 19.

So, as I get to the last part of ‘middle age’ and peer into the future of elderliness, I take heart from these findings. It is also backed up by my own experience.
I’ve worked with older people for over ten years, and I've met a few spectacularly grumpy characters. But on the whole there haven't been that many. They just tend to stick in the mind. I also noticed that the people who have the most to complain about usually do the least complaining.

I say older people have had a bad press. Anyone can be grumpy at any age. Show me a teenager at 8 o’clock in the morning, and I'll show you a grumpy person.

Life gets more fun even when the joints creak, so they say. If middle age is anything to go by I’d say that’s true. I already get a lot of pleasure out of the little everyday things.



This is me the day after my 60th birthday with my senior discounted ticket to Flambards. See how happy I am to get a couple of quid off the price. Just wait until I get my bus pass!

It seems strange, but even though physical health may get worse after 60, mental wellbeing actually improves. There is less stress and responsibility, more acceptance and living in the moment.

On the down side, humour, particularly wit, is harder to ‘get’ when you're old. Although if my dad is anything to go by I'll be ok. On the other hand, I'm told I can look forward to laughing at slapstick, something that hasn’t appealed that much to me so far. Every age has its compensations I guess.


It doesn’t feel great to be negative, judgemental, critical and complaining. It doesn’t make the people around you feel great either. So, even though I might be a bit cranky occasionally, I am definitely going to go for non-grumpy as I get older.

No comments:

Post a Comment